Wednesday, April 1, 2009

top of the hill

Whew! It's Wednesday night! I love Wednesday nights because they mean only one more day of school for the week and it's all down hill from here.

We
did make it to the library yesterday and Allison got her first library card - she couldn't be prouder (I am pretty proud myself). She helped fill out the application and they asked her all of the questions when entering her into the system. It was a very "grown up" experience.

I hadn't talked to Sandy or Becky (my two closest friends) in quite a while, but managed to talk with both on the phone yesterday! I am very content in being at home with Chris and the girls, but it's amazing how refreshing it is to visit with my girl friends! What a blessing...

I am planning my big April grocery trip for Saturday so am running a bit low on food supplies. Tonight, we ate grilled cheese sandwiches and spaghetti O's (Becky - I had a veggie patty w/ tomato on whole wheat bread...less points). Last night, I made Swedish pancakes (more points). This was only my second time making them, but they are fairly easy. For those of you who have never had Swedish pancakes - these are not typical pancakes. They are thin, buttery, delights. No syrup here! Only toppings such as jam, cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar. It was a very
healthy meal, as you can see. For the first time in a while, Abby had no complaints. Our family mood went from rather mopey to bright and sunshiny! Everyone thanked me, even Abby: "ah dun. tank oo mom."










I've been trying to make make a new "heritage" recipe every year. A couple of years ago I tried a recipe for Speculaas, a Dutch cookie (similar to gingerbread) made in December for St. Nicholas Day (a holiday our family celebrates). They turned out pretty well, but none of us really liked them all that much. Last year, my goal was to try Swedish pancakes. For some reason, I had it in my mind that they were very difficult to make so I put it off until the end of the year. I'm ashamed at how simple they are....although, considering the amount of sugar involved in the toppings, it's probably for the best! This year, my goal is to make traditional Belgian waffles (not the American ones that are basically bloated pancakes). I lived in Belgium for a year when I was a child and these were my favorite! They require pearl sugar, which I think IKEA sells and I also found a website specializing in Dutch goods that sells it within the US. We'll see how they turn out. After the swedish pancakes, the whole family is eager for my next experiment!

Today was another busy day where I got a lot accomplished, although I can't quite remember most of it. All I can think of is school and laundry, but I know there's more :) We got more pictures of the puppies. They will be four weeks old tomorrow. We will find out this next week if we will be able to get the black and white male or will have to wait for another litter.







I'll leave you with this picture of Abby. Some days, when you're in the mood for tearing through a good magazine, a chair just won't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment